Saturday, February 27, 2010

Why, Yes, I AM Crunchy....


Because I'm having a torrid love affair with Greek yogurt and granulated honey, I've been eating a lot of granola. My Yank family prefers all things homemade, so I wanted to master a recipe.

I adapted a recipe from Orangette, who adapted the recipe from David Lebovitz's book Perfect Scoop. I added walnuts, flax seed, and dried cherries, and bumped up the oil and honey.

Here goes:

3 cups rolled oats
½ cup walnuts, chopped (superfood!)
½ cup raw almonds, chopped
½ cup dried cherries
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
generous pinch of flax seeds
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
7 Tbsp. mild honey
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3/4 cup, or more, finely chopped bittersweet chocolate

Preheat the oven to 300°F.

Toss oats, almonds, walnuts, cherries coconut, flax, sugar, and salt in bowl until blended.

Heat honey and oil in a saucepan over low heat; whisk for 1-2 minutes. Stir mixture into dry ingredients.

Spread granola onto a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes - Stir. Bake for another 10. Cool completely, add chocolate, mix, store. (I use an old plastic rice container, because we recycle passionately here.)

The Dogtor does not do chocolate for breakfast, so I will begin making a separate, more pious batch.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you make him a special batch! I think I'll try your doctored version. Not the Dogtored one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm, granulated honey sounds amazing. i've never tried it; is there a particular brand you recommend?

    ReplyDelete