Sunday, March 14, 2010

March, Roaring Like a Lion


Today, the Dogtor and I took Fray-monster for a walk in the fields behind our house. She took the sleet pellets like a champ. We're so close to spring - I can feel it - which makes this weekend's snow (ice?) more painful. When spring comes - and it will come! - I won't take a moment of warmth or a crocus for granted.

For me, the day summoned Jane Kenyon's poem "February: Thinking of Flowers" - excerpt below:

Now wind torments the field,
turning the white surface back
on itself, back and back on itself,
like an animal licking a wound.

Nothing but white--the air, the light;
only one brown milkweed pod
bobbing in the gully, smallest
brown boat on the immense tide.

A single green sprouting thing
would restore me. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment