Monday, April 26, 2010

Etymology of a Nickname


My sister christened me with a nickname over a decade ago - SNAGS. Snags is a permutation of NAGS, which is an abbreviation of my name spelled backward.

Recently, I've learned a snag can be something other than a fabric tear or English sausages. It can also be:
  • a dead tree
  • a spiteful, self-righteous hippy (according to a Wells Tower interview at Bookslut - which I can't link to because they let their domain name expire.)
I can't decide which one I'd rather be - a sausage, a rotten tree, or a no-good hippy. Flattering, right? I'll go on monogramming my canvas bags SNAGS anyway.

(Photo Credit: Cutting "old snags" in Oregon.)

2 comments:

  1. Gee, and all this time I thought it was because of that frisky Snaggletooth tiger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nagem, Nagrem, Nagrems, Snagrems, Snags. Naturally.

    ReplyDelete