Monday, April 19, 2010

Rogue Daffodils




I'm a total sucker for nostalgia, and one thing that gets me - rogue daffodils. I see them coming up in strange places - places that seem ill fitting with current landscape - or in the middle of a overgrown field - and I think about the people that planted them years, maybe decades, before.

A preservationist I used to work with in NC had a lovely habit of snatching the bulbs from abandoned houses and forgotten fields. She once wrote to me in an email:

"All one has to do is dig 'em up and stick 'em in the ground. They are tough and lovely, and they always remind me of some woman, probably, who lived long ago and however modest her homeplace, wanted a bit of beauty, which in its ephemeral way lives after her and will live after us."

Here's to the vestiges of long forgotten gardeners!

(Swannanoa's Daffodils from our house in NC; Old Reedy Creek Daffodils near Umstead Park in NC; and a lovely rogue patch I found just past our property line in VT.)

No comments:

Post a Comment