Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Dog That Wouldn't Die, Died





RIP Spiritwalker, aka Walker, aka man-eating terrier. I loved you in a complicated way.

I will miss you when I walk to the barn. I will miss you when I open the garage door, and you are not there to growl at me. I will miss you when I reach out to get my shoes, and you are not there to gnash your teeth. I will miss you spending dinner parties locked in the truck. I will miss you drooling on my feet when I feed the dogs. I will miss fearing you when I sneak into the house. I will miss being glad you're there in case someone else tries to sneak into the house.

I will miss your scholarly eyebrows and the angry T. Rex sounds you were capable of making. I will miss watching you make a go for the barn swallows, even when you could hardly walk. I will miss watching you try to play. I will miss watching you try to be a good dog.

6 comments:

  1. A touching elegy. Something none of us wants to get good at.

    Good dog, Walker. Good dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. heart warming and heart breaking at the same time. slobbery condolences..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brought tears to my eyes and I had...complicated...feelings about that dog too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? I thought he was extra sweet this past weekend. xo Walker!

    ReplyDelete