Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Sweet Seduction of Self Promotion



Whenever I post writing updates to blogs, alumni newsletters, or my facebook status, I feel like Macy Gray at the 2001 MTV Video Music Awards - a shameless self promoter. I try to own that and accept that it's part of being a writer.

A while back I saw a quote from the band MGMT - something about "we don't want to play arenas...it's not our mission." They took a lot of heat for that we-don't-want-to-be-mainstream sentiment, or maybe for wearing skinny pants, tribal cumberbunds and brocade jazz shoes, I'm not sure. (Disclaimer - I did really love their first album. I'm still figuring out my feelings about the second - I guess I'm just the kind of mainstream dork they were trying to shake off.)

When I was first starting to publish, I would say to my mom - Please don't tell anyone about my work. She'd say: Megan, you do want people to read your stories...right?

I'm still not sure I can answer that question with a definitive YES. Part of me wishes I could publish in fine journals anonymously. But at the end of the day, most (not all, I admit) literature is made to be read, and music made to be listened to. Consumable byproducts.

So, with that said, you can now pre-order the 2010 edition of New Stories From the South - edited by the illustrious Amy Hempel - which contains work by yours truly.

Photo Credit

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Sure to be a darn good anthology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara - Thank you SO much! It is such fine, humbling company for sure. Hope to see you soon in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Megan! I am Susanne's sister (Bear's future sis-in-law), and she clued me in to your blog. I just wanted to say congratulations and that I enjoy your posts! I know just how you feel about sharing your work. Glad you decided it's worth it. : ) - Lis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lis - so wonderful to meet you (albeit virtually); I've heard many outstanding things about you and your work. I look forward to meeting you in person - we have so much to celebrate this year for Bear and Suse!!

    ReplyDelete