Thursday, October 28, 2010

Farmshare Update + Miscellany


Dogtor Sr., aka OPA, fetched the farmshare from Clearbrook today. It's a good thing he did, because when I picked Fray up from daycare she was covered in head-to-toe hives, and we bee-lined for the pediatrician's office. (Turns out Wump is allergic to amoxycillin. Fun.)

We arrived home from the doc's to find a gorgeous array of vegetables: turnips, beets, collards, lettuce, carrots, super fat leeks, two kinds of raspberries, shallots, eggs, bread, goat cheese, purple potatoes, and a new loaf of bread.

I made open-faced sandwiches with herbed goat cheese, caramelized shallots, and freshly chopped beets. Yum.

The problem - no one was around to eat them. OPA was visiting friends. The Dogtor was clocking a late night at the office, unblocking a cat, sending messages about how he'd just eat mac n' cheese.

I think not.

Eggs and more eggs in our future. And potato leek soup. And I must train the new one-eyed cat not to jump on the counters while we're cooking and eating. Or ever, for that matter. He protests and pretends not to understand. I've had to remind him that the whole woe-is-me-I'm-a-one-eyed-cat routine will only work for so long.

*

As an aside, I'm battling a cold and am still traumatized - seriously - from flying solo with Frasier to Raleigh last weekend. Am I Vermont-bound until she outgrows tantrums? My sanity says yes.

*

Outside, the beagle howls to another beagle. Or a coyote. Let's hope neighboring beagle.

*

Dogtor, coming in from outside, confirms: coyotes. Close ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment