Monday, May 16, 2011

An Anniversary




Two years ago this week, my beloved mother-in-law passed away. Wumpus was a few weeks old and colicky. The Dogtor had just graduated from veterinary school and was in VT by his mother's side as I packed our house in NC for our move north.

It's not a time I look back on with a smile; those were easily the hardest few weeks of my life. I remember the 12 hour drive we made overnight from Raleigh to Shaftsbury - my father driving, my mother holding Wumpus' hand in the backseat as she slept. We stopped once or twice. I changed Wumpus' diaper in a McDonald's parking lot and still remember the glare of the parking lot lights on her tiny face as she looked up at me.

Two years later, exactly, and much has changed. Wumpus is 2. She wears cowboy boots and speaks at length on cats, dogs, books, and the potty. Another Wumpus is imminent. The butterfly magnolia tree and the memorial gardens planted in my mother-in-law's honor at the vet clinic are beginning to thrive.

We miss her, still.

No comments:

Post a Comment