Thursday, May 19, 2011

So This Really Happened



Today, somewhere between 38 and 39 weeks pregnant, and unable to walk comfortably, I gave up on hard work and projects and decided to take a lunchtime break on the porch. I ate a cup of homemade veggie soup. I brought my knitting with me; I'm making a blanket - an ugly one - for Wumpus 2. There were four dogs and two cats sunning themselves around me; the cats had finally given up on the yarn ball.

Then the UPS man showed up and ruined everything.

Betsy Spaniel, aka Savage Spaniel, went ballistic. She hates the UPS man with passion. But before tearing off the porch, she got insanely tangled in my yarn ball - then sprinted down the steps, off the porch, and AROUND the UPS truck, taking my yarn ball with her. The UPS truck ran over the yarn ball. Betsy continued to run around the truck, frothing at the mouth with fury, trotting out the last of my yarn.

I waddled off the porch (swearing). The UPS man, needless to say, did not make eye contact, but placed the package on the porch and promptly pulled away, backing over the yarn.

I went to survey the damage - the yarn ball itself, now just a tiny nub, was halfway down the hill. The yarn trail went from my blanket, around a chair, down the porch steps, into the lawn, and down the driveway, where it became very tangled and full of pollen.

Grrrrrrrr. Unwilling to pick pollen from yarn for an hour, I decided it was time to call the blanket a blanket, so I have now finished casting off, and the ugly-blanket-made-with-love is now complete and waiting for satin binding.

So much for my peaceful, pre-baby rest moment.

2 comments:

  1. Aw Snags! That is a beautiful blanket and cannot believe UPS man didn't give you a hand with that one. <3 Cannot wait to meet big Wump.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the hassle. That said, I thank you for the giggle. You're a natural story teller.

    ReplyDelete