Monday, August 22, 2011

Buy Stock in Ziploc


It's putting up time!

Which usually goes like this:
  • One of us harvests an ambitious amount of produce, pretending as though we have lots of spare time
  • While cooking dinner with a two year old holding one leg and an infant howling for food, I convince myself I can prepare a meal AND boil 17 ears of corn.
  • Somehow I do
  • I put leftover soup or corn or kale or zukes in plastic bags, write a date and sometimes superfluous information (seasoning score), then take a bendy straw and suck the air out of the bag, usually inhaling kale juice at the same time.
  • Inevitably, I make a joke about Hot Ham Water that only Arrested Development fans would understand.
The putting up exercise usually concludes with a kitchen mess of epic proportion, and then the realization that Bebe Z must be bathed despite the zucchini skin and corn husks floating in the sink.

Still - victory is mine. As of this weekend, I've added 17 ears of frozen corn; a batch of spaghetti sauce with our eggplant, tomatoes, and onions; and ribollita to sizable stacked bags of zukes, squash, blueberries, and spinach.

Leaves beginning to turn = Anxious Squirrel Mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment